Tips to Brighten Everyone’s Day When Caring for Elderly Parents
Millions of Americans have found themselves in the role of providing senior care for an older loved one, and although caring for elderly parents as a family caregiver is incredibly rewarding in many ways, the day-to-day duties involved with senior care can come to be monotonous for both the caregiver and the older adult. Endeavor In-Home Care wants to assist you in putting the fun back in your loved one’s day-to-day routine. All it takes is a bit of ingenuity! Try some of these suggestions to help brighten your loved one’s day and make caring for elderly parents more enjoyable:
These recommendations can add some style and fun to getting dressed, tackling laundry, and other chores:
- Ask your loved one to help with laundry (sorting/folding/putting away). Utilize this time to talk about your day, a television show you both like to watch, etc.
- Flip through magazines and catalogs and choose fashions you think the other person would look good in.
- Make picking out clothes and accessories to wear every day an enjoyable occasion!
Spice Up Meals
Food characterizes our culture, family history and traditions, and is linked to numerous emotions. Make mealtime more fun by:
- Including the older adult in washing/drying dishes.
- Inviting the senior to assist in preparing a traditional family meal.
- Enjoying meals outside when weather allows.
Try Something New
There’s always something new to be learned, and no better time than now to explore a new hobby or pursue a goal. There are quite a few online classes available, with some geared especially to older adults and offering lower (or no-cost) rates. Look for possibilities to learn:
- A new language.
- How to play a musical instrument.
- Skills like sewing, cooking, gardening, sculpting – the options are limitless!
Endeavor In-Home Care understands that providing care for an elderly loved one can be both rewarding and stressful, and we want you to know that you’re never alone. We offer friendly companion care, personal care services such as showering, dressing, and grooming assistance, and motivation to participate in a variety of fun activities for seniors.
Contact us to learn more about hiring a caregiver in Scottsdale or the surrounding areas in Arizona.