The vast majority of older individuals would prefer to age at home where they are comfortable, rather than making a move to an assisted living facility or nursing home – nearly 90 percent of them, based upon research done by AARP. And who can blame them? The comfort of home, the freedom to go wherever, whenever you would like, and preparing the meals you want when you want them are all invaluable commodities.
But even though it seems like the ideal plan for aging, there are some legitimate concerns to be considered as well:
- Will the senior stay safe?
- How will the older adult get around once driving, or even walking, gets difficult?
- What will happen if the older person becomes ill or hurt and no one is near to help?
Fortunately, it’s now easier than ever for aging adults to stay safe and well as they age at home. These tips can assist you in taking the necessary safety measures to ensure your loved one is prepared for these needs and any others, now and in the future:
- Assess the home, both inside and out, from the perspective of the senior’s safety. Check to make sure:
- Grab bars are installed beside the bathtub and toilet.
- Throw rugs and other fall hazards are taken away.
- There is sufficient lighting, including in hallways and stairways.
- Commonly used items are located within easy reach.
- Emergency numbers are posted in a prominent location.
- Establish a transportation plan, so it is ready to put into action when driving is no longer feasible:
- Investigate public transportation options that are available and easily accessible.
- Put together a volunteer tree of reliable people the older person can contact for transportation when needed: friends, family members, neighbors, religious organizations, local senior centers, Endeavor In Home Care, etc.
- Ensure the senior is able to access the technology that can be used in an emergency to reach out for help when alone, such as a PERS (personal emergency response system).
The perfect way to ensure older adults remain safe and well cared for at home, however, is by hiring a professional home care agency, such as Endeavor In Home Care. Our care experts are fully trained and have experience in providing personal care services, transportation, meal preparation, and companionship, and are on hand for as much or as little care as required.
We start with the development of an individualized care plan to address the senior’s specific needs and wishes, and then we continuously monitor that plan and adjust as needs change – making certain that our senior home care in Phoenix and the surrounding areas helps seniors stay safe and live life to the fullest, where it is most comfortable: right at home. We invite you to contact us online, or call us at (480) 498-2324 to learn more.