The advantages of engaging in exercise do not lessen as we age, and it’s extremely worthwhile for seniors to keep up with as active a lifestyle as possible. Even older adults who are confined to a bed or wheelchair have a variety of opportunities available to strengthen and increase resistance and flexibility. Contact us at 480-498-2324 to learn how we can help senior loved ones remain active.
The initial step is always to seek advice from a senior’s physician to get a suggestion on the best exercises for seniors that fit with your loved one’s activity level and medical history. Exercising even for as little as a couple of minutes each day, repeated several times during the day, can substantially enhance a senior’s health and wellbeing.
Following are several examples of the best exercises for seniors:
- Aerobic Exercises: If whole body movements aren’t feasible, exercises from a sitting position can be substituted to build cardio strength. When possible, good options include:
- Swimming or water aerobics
- Tai Chi
- Resistance Exercises: To strengthen and build muscles, resistance exercises can be performed with elastic bands, available in a multitude of tensile strengths. The Journal of Gerontology: Biological Sciences reports that even just one day every week of resistance exercise helps seniors preserve independence and lower the threat of injury.
- Flexibility Exercises: Stretching exercises help sharpen flexibility and range of motion. Check for yoga classes at local senior or recreation centers.
- Dementia Exercises: In the earlier phases of dementia especially, a number of exercise options are possible, and with increasing supervision and some alterations, can be continued as the disease progresses. Considering that repetition is frequently comforting to those with Alzheimer’s disease, activities like walking, riding a stationary bicycle, and folding laundry are helpful to both the older adult’s physical and mental state.
Encouraging your loved one to begin, and then stick with, an exercise routine is fundamental to success. Try these suggestions to make it something pleasurable that he or she will look forward to:
- Join in an exercise program with the older adult. It’s always more enjoyable to exercise with a partner.
- Incorporate favorite, upbeat music.
- Designate dedicated time each and every day specifically for exercise, and make it a priority.
- Put in place incentives or rewards for attaining goals.
For more suggestions on helping seniors increase activity levels, contact Endeavor In-Home Care. Our highly skilled team provides at home care in Scottsdale and nearby communities and are trained and experienced in helping older adults thrive and improve their overall wellbeing. We love nothing more than having the assurance that the older individuals in our care are healthy and enjoying life to the fullest! Reach out to us at 480-498-2324 to learn more about our top-rated senior and respite care in Gilbert and surrounding areas!