As Jane Austen once explained, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for anyone with a chronic disease, like multiple sclerosis (MS), comfort is essential, as is remaining safe. Our in-home care experts are here to help with managing multiple sclerosis at home.
If a loved one has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, the first step should be to seek out the assistance of a professional home care provider with experience in MS-related challenges, who can perform an in-home safety assessment and make the appropriate recommendations for modifications to the home so that it is a safe, comfortable sanctuary, rather than a dangerous place.
Multiple sclerosis can make getting around difficult, and because day-to-day tasks — including recreational activities — can lead to exhaustion more quickly in people with MS, making specific changes to the home environment can help conserve energy and increase independence.
Some examples include:
- Substitute thick carpeting with smooth, anti-slip flooring for easier mobility
- Place grab bars strategically throughout the bathroom
- Move furniture to widen pathways throughout the residence
- Incorporate items in the tub or shower such as a portable showerhead, a slip resistant bathmat, and a tub seat
- Consider a bed rail to assist with switching sleep positions
- Exchange knobs throughout the home with handles, which are easier to manage
Endeavor In-Home Care can provide home alteration suggestions and help in scheduling customizations to ensure your loved one’s home is a more convenient place for independence. Some of the many other ways we can help enhance quality of life for those with multiple sclerosis include:
- Planning and preparing healthy, delicious meals
- Light housework and laundry
- Assistance with personal care needs, such as showering, dressing, and using the restroom
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments, procedures, and enjoyable outings
- Running errands, such as picking up prescriptions and grocery shopping
- Offering warm companionship to engage in exercise programs, conversations, fun activities, and favorite pastimes
- Medication reminders so meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- Help with safe ambulation for fall prevention
- And many others, according to each person’s particular needs
As one of the leading caregiver agencies in Phoenix, AZ and the surrounding areas, we’re here to help any time with managing multiple sclerosis at home. Contact us online or give us a call at (480) 498-2324. Our in-home care from expert caregivers can help those with MS remain in the comfort of home, while enjoying life to the fullest each day.