Why Are Aging Loved Ones Hesitant About Receiving Help at Home?
As home care professionals, we get to see the joy, companionship, and increased quality of life seniors gain from having a caregiver. But we also know that many people initially reject the thought of in-home care help.
To ease a family member’s hesitation about receiving the care they need, it’s important to first discover why they are opposed to getting help at home. And while naturally each person will have unique reasoning to support refusing help, some of the more common feelings include:
- Fear of lost independence and freedom
- Not wanting a “stranger” in the home
- A desire to remain in control, and not wanting someone to come in and “take over”
- Feelings of embarrassment or shame about the need to rely on someone else
What’s the Main Apprehension to Receiving Help at Home?
You may be surprised to know that the number one concern seniors express about in-home care is that they won’t know how to entertain the person providing care.
It’s important to pay attention to the specific worries your loved one expresses about accepting help at home, to acknowledge those feelings, and to provide facts to help the individual better understand what professional caregiving services involve.
For instance, the caregivers at Endeavor In-Home Care are:
- Extensively trained and experienced in a wide range of aging caregiving services, including respectful attention to care needs with the dignity each individual deserves
- Adept at fostering independence and freedom in older adults, empowering them to continue to make their own decisions and simply providing support where necessary
- Extensively background checked, screened, bonded and insured, for safety and peace of mind
- Thoughtfully matched to a senior based on personality, likes/dislikes, interests, and more, resulting in a fast bond between both the older adult and caregiver
Working with Endeavor In Home Care for expert home care services is the perfect solution for many seniors who would like to continue to live at home throughout aging and avoid moving to a facility. All of our services start with a complimentary in-home consultation, where we take time to listen to any problems and challenges being faced, and to create a highly personalized plan of care to tackle those needs in a way that helps seniors thrive.
As our services bring benefits such as decreased risk of falls, enhanced safety, hospitalizations and emergency room visits, decreased loneliness, and the independence to go whenever and wherever the person pleases, seniors have much to gain through engaging the services of our professional care team. Get in touch with us online or at (480) 498-2324 to learn more about how we can help in Scottsdale and the nearby areas!