Anyone who has ever experienced a stroke or heart attack understands how truly life-changing it is. While many of the changes can be positive ones – such as implementing and maintaining a healthier diet and lifestyle – they can also be extremely difficult. All of a sudden, the person has to learn to give up favorite and comforting foods, smoking, and any other unhealthy habits, along with managing through the recovery period that is necessary after the stroke or heart attack itself. It’s easy to see how all of this can lead to feelings of frustration, so watching for depression after a heart attack or stroke is critical.
Our aging care experts at Endeavor In-Home Care recommend keeping a close eye on a senior loved one in your care if he or she is recovering from a stroke or heart attack. In particular, watch for any of these warning signs and seek medical attention if any are noticed:
- Feeling hopeless or helpless
- A lack of interest in previously-enjoyed activities, hobbies, and pastimes
- Any change in weight or appetite
- Any change in sleeping habits, such as insomnia, waking in the early morning hours, or oversleeping
- Feelings of anxiety, restlessness, sluggishness, or physically slowing down
- Feeling worthless, or exhibiting harsh criticism of perceived mistakes and flaws
- Difficulty with staying focused, making decisions, and/or with memory
Recovering from a stroke or heart attack can be challenging not only for the senior you love, but for you as a caregiver as well. You are a vital component in the senior’s overall wellbeing, a role that requires a lot of time, patience, compassion, and selflessness. It’s so important that you take much-needed time away to care for yourself on a regular basis, to ensure you’re maintaining your own mental and physical wellness.
Endeavor In-Home Care, Mesa respite care and home care provider for the surrounding areas, is always here to provide the professional care you need. Our services are customized to each senior’s particular needs and interests. Our caregivers are fully trained and experienced in helping older adults after a stroke or heart attack to get the rest and care needed during recovery, along with the friendly companionship to lift their spirits.