Breathe Easier with These COPD Tips
Family members providing COPD care for an older loved one know that outdoor air pollution can make symptoms worse. But, did you know that compromised air quality in the house may also magnify COPD symptoms? Cleaning the air inside the senior’s home can help older adults with COPD – and everybody else in the home – breathe easier.
Endeavor In-Home Care suggests these additional COPD tips:
- Prohibit Inside Smoking. Never smoke or let others smoke in the home of someone with COPD. If the home contains a woodstove or fireplace, realize that it can also be a source of irritation for the individual with COPD.
- Avoid Exposure to Chemicals. Chemicals in the senior’s home, including cleaning products and paint, can bring on COPD symptoms, so limit the use of them, and make sure to keep lids on cleaning products when not in use. It’s also a good idea to take a look at healthier cleaning choices, such as vinegar and baking soda.
- Decrease Dust. Launder bed linens every week, eliminate clutter, and make sure pets stay off furniture to minimize the amount of dust and dander.
- Purify the Air in the Home. Use an air filtration device with a HEPA air filter. While air pollution is not as much a concern in rural areas as it is in the city, a senior with COPD can still benefit from filtered air to reduce irritants and toxins.
- Maintain Clean Floors. Making sure floors are swept and clean decreases allergen buildup. Bear in mind that hardwood floors are easier to maintain in an allergen-free state than carpeting.
- Utilize a Humidifier. Dry air tends to make COPD symptoms worse, as can air that is too moist. Strive for a level of around 40% humidity inside the home for an individual with COPD.
COPD patients can breathe easier with the help of Endeavor In-Home Care. We can provide:
- Helpful educational information about COPD care and management
- Exercise tips to alleviate symptoms
- Nutritional and dietary tips
- Skills to best manage symptoms
- And a full range of home care services
Our fully trained and experienced home care team will first provide an in-home assessment to develop a plan of care to address your loved one’s care needs. Endeavor In-Home Care is here to help with personalized home care services. Contact us and our expert providers of senior home care in Phoenix and the surrounding areas at your convenience at 480-498-2324 to find out more about the many ways our professional home care can help.