The love a parent has for his or her children has no age restrictions. And regardless of age, parents often strive to protect their children from worries, which can sometimes mean masking their own concerns. To make it even more challenging, family members often live at a distance from their aging parents, making it especially challenging to ensure a healthy diet for the older adults they love.
One of the many challenges in growing older is the decrease in meeting nutritional needs. If you think your older loved ones are possibly not getting the nutrients they need to remain healthy and well, this quick evaluation can help identify any potential warning signs of malnutrition:
- Has an older loved one complained of a loss of appetite, difficulties with digesting food, or problems with chewing or swallowing? Has he or she been eating less as a result?
- Has the senior lost weight recently? Losing weight, in particular for older adults with a less active lifestyle, can be a sign that the person is not eating properly.
- Is the senior experiencing mobility limitations? Being homebound can lead to dietary struggles, as it is more difficult to pick up groceries or prepare meals.
- Has your loved one been under mental stress or been diagnosed with an acute disease in the past several months?
- What is his or her body mass index (BMI)? A BMI of 18.5 or less can signify that he or she is not eating enough, while a BMI of 30 or higher can signify obesity.
If when answering these questions you suspect that a senior you love might be experiencing problems with nutrition, it’s probably wise to consult with his/her doctor. The Phoenix senior care team at Endeavor In-Home Care can also help improve health and wellbeing in seniors, right in the comfort of home, through:
- Preparing nutritious meals in accordance with any dietary restrictions
- Providing transportation to medical appointments and to pick up groceries, prescriptions, etc.
- Light household chores and laundry
- Running errands
- Medication reminders
- And more
Our trained and experienced caregivers are compassionate, fully background checked, and on hand to provide as much or as little assistance as needed. Contact us at 480-498-2324 to learn more about our personalized in-home care solutions for seniors throughout several Arizona cities.